Monday 24 August 2020

Christmas wall quilt

 I made a quilt years ago to hang on my wall at Christmas when I was first learning to quilt. However as time when by I decided that I really didn't like the fabric used around the blocks. Same fabric was used for the backing. To me it was starting to look on the tired side. 

So a couple years ago when I came across some Christmas fabric that I liked I knew it would be perfect to remake the quilt. A couple weeks ago I carefully took the old quilt apart so I could reuse the blocks I had made. Took a little time to get all the hand quilt stitches out but so worth it. 

The paper piece tree came from McCalls quilting magazine as did the bird house and snow family. The snow family was a family of 4 but as I had 4 children I added another girl and boy to the family. 

The angle came from the internet as did the paper piece northern star. The star was by Carol Doak. The  ginger bread block came from a woodworking magazine I came across in a store and was easy to convert to an appliqué block.

The middle picture is the backing and the last picture is of the quilt remade and ready to be hung this Christmas. I machine quilted between the blocks and around the blocks. I than hand quilted in the blocks.

The fabric around the blocks is swirl with tiny little red hearts.





3 comments:

  1. Oh, my, what a beautiful difference! The new, lighter background just makes those quilt blocks pop! Great job. I can't imagine how much work it was to take the old quilt apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    I kind of did it the lazy way and cut the fabric between the blocks away 1/2inch from the blocks leaving the seam allowance intact. That way I only had to undo the quilting in the blocks themselves.

    ReplyDelete